Saturday 1 February 2014

Roll of 28 (1)



Ancient moss covered sacred tree
This tree is around 2000 years old. The hollow area underneath is the size of 6 tatami mats; about the size of the average bedroom.
I'm giving this a go:
"The rules are simple: take pictures, and post one a day for the month of February. The posted picture must have been taken that day." 
The idea is to cheer up the shortest, and in this part of the world, coldest and generally unpleasant, month of the year. Although my photography leaves a lot to be desired, I'm hoping the beauty of my surroundings will make up for the failings of the photographer. And so, without further ado, here is photo #1.

It's setsubun on Monday (see last year's post about it here) so we visited a shrine to get some beans. The shrine itself dates from the 800s. One of the things I love most about living in Japan is being able to stumble upon such old, old places.
Share this article :

2 comments:

  1. Stunning! Both the tree and the shrine. I have to admit, I've never lived in a place that is quite so steeped in history... There's plenty of history to keep me on my toes as a modernist, but buildings with barely 200 years of history can hardly compare to truly ancient architecture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, although between natural disasters and a penchant for rebuilding Japan has few buildings that are seriously old. My sister in Germany tends to look at me pityingly when I start raving about what we have here!

      Delete

Because of all the spam lately, comments on old posts will now be moderated. This means it may be some time before your comment appears. You can always email me directly, check the contact page for details.